Sunday, 7 December 2014
CM Punk Will Fight in the UFC, Former WWE Champion Announces at UFC 181
CM Punk will fight in the UFC Octagon.
The former WWE champion, who abruptly departed the pro wrestling world earlier this year, is switching over to full-time professional MMA. That's the scoop straight from the horse's mouth, as the 36-year-old himself broke the news to UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan Saturday night during the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 181:Punk (real name Phillip Brooks) said his weight class is not quite finalized, though he will "most likely" compete at middleweight. A test weight cut in the near future will help him decide for sure, though, and Punk said "welterweight might be there." Light heavyweight, he said, is not an option.
No opponent or date were announced for Punk's Octagon debut.
"This is my new career—100 percent," Punk told Rogan. "I'm going to go full steam ahead, all systems go."
Punk has long been an avid fan and student of MMA. Former UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen once invited Punk to accompany him during his walk to the cage—a request WWE kingpin Vince McMahon ultimately denied.This news will certainly provide a jolt of excitement—and controversy—for MMA and pro wrestling fans alike. But it's not one without precedent.
Brock Lesnar, a WWE superstar who crossed over to the MMA world, remains the biggest pay-per-view draw in UFC history. Lesnar captured the heavyweight title in 2008 and defended it twice before losing the belt in 2010 to Cain Velasquez. Lesnar retired from pro MMA in 2011 after a loss to Alistair Overeem.
Source http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2291817-cm-punk-will-fight-in-the-ufc-former-wwe-champion-announces-at-ufc-181
Labels:
UFC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment